Dr. Gordon Schutze, professor of pediatrics at Baylor College of Medicine, offers these reminders before taking to water to cool off.
At the pool, remember to:
- Shower, using soap and water, before swimming.
- Take advantage of adult swim time to take young children to the bathroom. Check and change diapers frequently and do so away from the recreational water source.
- Wash hands with soap and water after toilet use and diaper-changing activities. Infants and children who are not toilet trained should use proper fitting swim diapers.
- Wash hands with soap and water before and after consumption of food and drink. Keep food and drink away from the water.
- Keep children in diapers from sitting down in splash pads.