Eating healthier doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice great flavor. As the temperatures continue to get warmer in Houston, our thoughts turn to the grill. This recipe, from Baylor College of Medicine’s Sugar, Heart and Life program is packed with flavor and delivers it in only 210 calories.
Sugar, Heart and Life is an interactive web experience for patients with diabetes and their families. It features a guide to understanding diabetes, tips for eating at home and on the go, interactive games, information on how to accurately read food labels and planning for physical activity.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 2 limes, juice only
- ¼ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ c. water
- 10-12 tomatillos, husks removed, cut in half
- ½ medium onion, quartered
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ c. low-fat sour cream
- Combine oil, juice from one lime, oregano, and black pepper in shallow, glass baking dish. Stir.
- Place chicken breasts in baking dish and turn to coach each side. Cover dish and refrigerate overnight. Turn chicken periodically to marinate it on both sides.
- Put water, tomatillos, and onion into saucepan. Bring to gentle boil and cook uncovered for 10 minutes or until tomatillos are tender.
- In blender, place cooked onion, tomatillos, and any remaining water. Add garlic, jalapeno peppers, cilantro, salt and juice from the second lime. Blend until all ingredients are smooth. Place sauce in bowl and refrigerate.
- Place chicken breasts on hot grill and cook until done. Place chicken on serving platter and spoon tablespoons of low-fat sour cream over each chicken breast. Pour sauce over sour cream.
Learn more about Sugar, Heart and Life: A guide to living with diabetes .
Read more about Sugar, Heart and Life interactive game Create-A-Plate.